Sunday, June 10, 2012

BBQ Chickpea Pizza

Look at me...I'm finally getting past my fear of making bread and pizza dough from scratch!

Yesterday, I baked a kick-booty BBQ Chickpea Pizza. It rocked my socks! I made the Tried and True Whole Wheat Pizza Dough (from scratch!! kneading and rolling and stretching the dough and everything!!!) and Everything's Better With Barbecue Sauce from Peas and Thank You. The barbecue sauce is an answer to my prayers, because I've yet to find a bottled barbecue sauce that meets my strict criteria:
1) vegan
2) no tomato paste (hello, acid reflux!)
3) no crappy artificial ingredients like HFCS
4) not too spicy (hello again, acid reflux!)

Thanks to Mama Pea, I can have tummy-friendly barbecue sauce in just 30 minutes. Yay!

Here's my beautiful dough, all rolled out, stretched, and ready to bake. I'm so proud of myself!


Next, I topped the dough with the barbecue sauce, some thinly sliced onion, and a can of chickpeas.


On top of that went a mix of Daiya mozzarella and cheddar shreds:


Finally, it went into the oven for 18 minutes. What emerged was a gooey, melty vegan pizza that rivaled this pizza I used to shell out $18 for. Not anymore! I think this pizza cost me less than $5 to make, huzzah!


*Drool...* it was SOOOO good, especially with some frosty cold beer on the side. I think this is my new favorite pizza!


What are your favorite pizza combinations?

No comments: