Sunday, August 5, 2012

A Vegan Bowl, Step by Step

Hello there, chickadee. Let's get to the food, shall we? 


This is a vegan bowl featuring Caesar Chavez Dressing and Basic Baked Tempeh from Appetite for Reduction. The base of my bowl is baby spinach and steamed bulgur, which I then topped with some roasted cauliflower, grilled eggplant, grilled yellow squash, chopped celery, red onion, cucumber, and roasted red pepper. The tempeh added the "meaty" part of this dish, making this a satisfying and hearty meal.

The best part of this meal is the fact that I could work on it throughout the day. While my son was napping, I made the dressing and grilled the eggplant and yellow squash on my cast-iron griddle:


I also marinated the tempeh and threw the cauliflower in the oven to roast. Then I chopped the veggies and placed everything on a giant platter to put in the fridge until dinnertime.


After we went out for the afternoon, I came home and steamed the bulgur. It's as simple as adding dry bulgur to a bowl, adding boiling water, covering it with a plate, and letting it steam for 30 minutes. Easy peasy!

When it was finally dinnertime, all I had to do was assemble our dishes. It would have been more wearisome if I had done every step at dinnertime, but spacing it throughout the day made dinnertime prep a breeze.

If you're a stay-at-home mom like me, consider doing some of your dinner prep in stages throughout the day. I find it really helps me keep the dinnertime stress to a minimum, while also allowing plenty of time to get the meal done so we eat at the same time every day. 

Question: what are your favorite vegan bowls?

No comments: