Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Hodgepodge Salad

Yesterday was one of those days where I wasn't really sure what I wanted for dinner, but I knew I wanted something fairly light and healthy. I had an unusual mix of fresh veggies on hand - three red beets, the last few florets from my gigantic head of cauliflower - along with the usual salad suspects: some baby romaine lettuce, some baby spinach, carrots, celery, and cucumber. I also had a bounty of canned beans, a variety of nuts and dried fruits, and condiments galore. I didn't have a plan, but I knew I could make a main dish salad with what I had on hand.

So, I wrapped the beets in foil and put them in the toaster oven to roast. While they were cooking, I chopped up the cauliflower and steamed it in a little water on the stove. I whisked together the dressing from Gena's Fig and Pistachio Salad, and decided a little chopped fig and pistachio would be great on my salad, too. I put some romaine and spinach in my big salad bowl, topped it with the sliced roasted beets, steamed cauliflower, pistachios, chopped figs, chickpeas, dressing, and some freshly cracked pepper. You know what? It was really good!

The salad had a great variety of flavors and textures, and it made the perfect light meal!
I love big, hearty, main-dish salads. What are some of your favorites?

No comments: