Thursday, January 26, 2012

Food for the New Year

I don't know what it is, but I always get excited for New Year's Eve. I never go out anywhere, mind you, but there's something fun about staying in, making some special food, watching a movie, and lounging by the fireplace. It's a nice contrast to the hustle and bustle of Christmas, and I think it's a great way to close out the year and look ahead to the next.

This New Year's Eve, I thought it would be really fun to make some vegan fondue. The recipe for Lunch Box Fondue from Vegan Lunch Box is super easy to make and it's the perfect cheesy dip for whatever you fancy.

This is what I fancied - from 12 o'clock: steamed brussels sprouts, cauliflower, and broccoli; raw orange pepper pieces, cucumber, baby carrots, and grape tomatoes; and some toasted (well, burnt) pieces of bread.
I blended up the cheesy dip and then heated it on the stove until it was warm and gooey-esque (it's made from silken tofu, so I can't really call it gooey, but close enough :)
I brought the dippers, warm pan of cheese, and some forks out to our living room floor. We speared our food, dipped it in the cheese, and watched old episodes of The Brady Bunch. Good times!

The next day, we rang in the New Year with a traditional meal of black-eyed peas. This is the Hottie Black Eyed Peas and Greens from Appetite for Reduction, served over a mound of mashed sweet potatoes. I love it doused with extra Cholula hot sauce for that extra little sumthin' sumthin.'

This dish is so yummy, so flavorful, and so hearty. I could eat it everyday! I've used kale and collards for the greens, and I think they both taste great here. Give it a try!

No comments: