Monday, January 30, 2012

Caldo Verde with Crumbled Tempeh

I don't know about you, but I couldn't survive a long, cold winter without lots and lots of soup. I love the smell of a delicious soup bubbling away on the stove, and I love the promise of a warm, full belly it will bring. Soups are comforting, nutritious, and simple, and I love the endless combinations of flavors and ingredients.

Recently, I made the Caldo Verde with Crumbed Tempeh from Appetite for Reduction. Caldo Verde is a Portuguese stew traditionally flavored with sausage and potatoes, but of course, there's no sausage in this soup. Instead, tempeh is braised and seasoned with fennel seed, which gives it a lovely sausage-y flavor. The stew also has a bunch of greens in it (I used ) for some extra nutrition, texture, and flavor. And quite frankly, it just looks so doggone good!


Really, this soup should be called "A Hug in a Bowl," because that's exactly what I felt like...a big, warm hug. I think I "mmmmm'd" a lot when eating this meal :)

This is a hearty soup that would satisfy even the staunchest of meat-eaters. I wouldn't hesitate to serve it to family and friends!

No comments: