Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Eggplant-Chickpea Curry with Cranberry-Cashew Biryani

Nothing beats a good curry. I love how they can be packed with different spices, veggies, and proteins (beans and lentils are my faves), and they match beautifully with grains such as rice, couscous, or quinoa. A curry dish is often a complete meal for me, hitting all of my nutritional bases (fats, carbs, proteins, veggies) in one pot.

I was looking for some curry inspiration and came across the Eggplant-Chickpea Curry recipe in Appetite for Reduction. It just so happened that I had some eggplant in my fridge, so it seemed like destiny.

In the recipe notes, Isa says that this dish pairs well with the Cranberry-Cashew Biryani in AFR, so I looked to see if I had those ingredients as well. Turns out I did, and the result was a plate of divine Indian flavors.


The curry features eggplant cooked low and slow until it breaks down and gets silky. There is also some fresh tomatoes, ginger, onions, garlic, chickpeas, and cilantro in there, too.
To start the biryani, you heat some oil in a pan and then toast some cumin seeds and mustard seeds until they start to pop and become fragrant. Then you add in some garlic, carrots, spices, and basmati rice and let it cook for while. Finally, you add in some dried cranberries, cashews, and frozen peas. The cranberries give it a great burst of flavor.

I had some agave-sweetened ginger ale to round out the meal. Yum!

No comments: