Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Mixed Vegetable Curry with Basmati Rice

I've been on a bit of a curry kick lately. There's just something so appealing about a big bowl of tender veggies, fragrant spices, coconut milk, and soft basmati rice. Curries highlight some of my favorite ingredients - fresh ginger, garlic, cinnamon, cumin, coconut - and they make the house smell so darn good when they are bubbling away on the stove. They are also endlessly adaptable, lending themselves easily to substitutions and personal preferences.

The Mixed Vegetable Curry from Party Vegan is a perfect example. The recipe calls for fresh green beans, cauliflower, and jalapeno (along with other veggies). I had none of these ingredients on hand, but I did have some fresh baby bella mushrooms, red bell pepper, and baby spinach. I also had some frozen green beans. I used the veggies I had on hand and otherwise followed the recipe as instructed. In just 30 minutes, I had a beautiful, comforting bowl of curry laden with tons of veggies and kidney beans.

This is a great way for kids (and adults!) to get a bunch of nutrition in one meal. In this one dish, there are a rainbow of different veggies (onions, carrots, garlic, ginger, green beans, mushrooms, bell pepper, spinach, and peas); protein and fiber from kidney beans; and whole grain brown rice. It's also a great way to expose young palates to a variety of different flavors and spices. Don't be afraid to get spicy! :)

No comments: