Monday, February 13, 2012

Quinoa, White Bean & Kale Stew

Another day, another fabulous stew from Appetite for Reduction. I think if I could only keep one cookbook for the rest of my life, it would probably be AFR. I just really enjoy what Isa enjoys - hearty, healthy, nutrition-packed meals filled with veggies, beans, whole grains, and spices. Isa, if you're out there and reading this, I just want to say: thank you. And, I'd love to test for your next cookbook. And, I like Throwing Muses, too. We could be BFFs, you know. Just sayin.'

So, this stew is pretty much the essence of AFR: it has grains (well, quinoa is technically a seed, but close enough), beans (cannellinis), veggies (leeks, garlic, carrots, parsnip, potatoes, kale), and spices (fennel seeds, marjoram, thyme, rosemary, S&P). It's loaded with flavor and everything goes into one pot, which makes clean-up a breeze. You gotta love that!

I've made this with and without the parsnip, and I actually prefer it without. I love parsnips, don't get me wrong, but I think they taste a bit out-of-place here. I've also used a head of broccoli rabe for the kale, and that works great, too. This recipe is very versatile and can be adapted to suit your veggie/bean/spice preferences. It's great on a chilly winter day when you need something warm in your belly.

No comments: