Thursday, May 12, 2011

Comfort in a Bowl

Yesterday was one of those days...it just felt "raw" outside. Kind of cloudy, kind of damp...the kind of day that makes me want to curl up with a bowl of stew and biscuits. Fortunately, I had nearly everything on hand I would need to satisfy that craving!

I had been wanting to make the Veggie Potpie Stew from Appetite for Reduction for quite a while. I'm not sure why I hadn't gotten around to making it yet. I've always loved pot pie, and this dish completely simplifies the process - all you do is make a stew of the typical pot pie fillings (potatoes, peas, carrots, mushrooms, seasonings) thickened by a handful of yellow split peas added to the base - genius! With some Sweet Potato Drop Biscuits on the side, this was a wonderful meal enjoyed by all!

Here's the stew bubbling away on the stove....it smelled delicious!

This picture doesn't look that great, but that's because of all the steam coming off the stew!

Here are the yummy biscuits, fresh out of the oven. By the way, these biscuits rawk and I've made them a bunch of times since I got the book for Christmas (Merry Christmas to me!)

Here's a close up of the biscuity goodness. Can you believe these are made with whole wheat pastry flour and cooked, mashed sweet potatoes? Bet you've never had a biscuit this healthy! And they are insaaaaanely delicious.

Now doesn't that look comforting on a chilly spring day?

My son absolutely loved the stew and the biscuits. I love it when he enjoys a hearty, healthy meal. It makes me feel so warm and fuzzy as a Mommy that my boy is being nourished with whole, healthy foods :)

I needed another giant Chocolate Cherry Smoothie this morning. My son has basically not slept through the night in over 3 months, and even back when he did, he'd still wake up at night at least 2-3 times a week. My hubby and I are starting to resemble the zombies in the Thriller video. Last night, we experimented with placing a sliding lock on the outside of my son's bedroom door in order to try and "encourage" him to stay in his room all night. Boy, did that backfire. He woke up at 1 am and then didn't go back to sleep the rest of the night...and neither did we, obviously :( I've read the sleep books, we've done sleep training, and we stick to a regular nap and bedtime routine, so I'm at a loss as to why my son feels the need to keep a vampire's schedule. I dragged my body out of bed and forced myself to go on a run this morning in order to try and clear the cobwebs out of my brain. Or, as my hubby succinctly put it, "You're going to be tired whether you go for a run or not." Good point, hubby. I told him where I was going in case I fell asleep somewhere along the route, but happily, I made it back in one piece and even ran at a decent clip. Small victory, but I'll take them wherever I can get them :)

No comments: