Saturday, May 21, 2011

When an Eggplant Becomes a Mushroom

For years, I avoided mushrooms. I just couldn't bring myself to eat them. I had read something in The pH Miracle that basically said eating mushrooms was like eating a bunch of toxins, and that stuck with me. Eventually, I got over my mushroom-phobia and started eating them again. However, it was during my self-imposed mushroom exile that I got Veganomicon and was immediately (and often) drawn to the recipe for Portobello Salad with Spicy Mustard Dressing. Even though I didn't like mushrooms, the salad itself still sounded awesome - mixed greens, avocado, red onion, chickpeas, and roasted mushrooms with a maple-mustard dressing. I kept thinking, if only this salad didn't have mushrooms.... And then one day I was like, well, why don't you try it with something else? Like eggplant? Ding, ding, ding!! We have a winner! So, I did, and long story short, the salad turned out incredibly awesome and I still make it with eggplant, even though I eat mushrooms.

Slicing the eggplant...

Then marinating it in a balsamic vinegar-tamari-garlic-olive oil-cooking wine mixture:
The eggplant gets roasted and becomes silky and uber-delish:

Then I simply layer the salad: baby greens, chickpeas, red onion, avocado, eggplant, and dressing. It's so tasty and I'm so glad I didn't let a little thing like mushrooms stop me from making it! It's one of my favorite recipes out of Veganomicon and I've made it dozens of times. My hubby actually requested it this week so that's why I made it!

It's actually kind of perfect: carbs, fiber, and protein from the chickpeas; healthy fats from the avocado; and the baby greens, eggplant, and red onion provide some veggie health.

Okay, it's movie time - good night!

No comments: