Friday, June 3, 2011

Busy, Busy, Busy

Wow, life has been crazy lately! With the long holiday weekend, my hubby's birthday, music class, mom's group outings, and other things going on, I've been super busy and haven't had a chance to blog. Truthfully, I've also had several nights lately where I've eaten some "repeats" and thus didn't feel the need to blog about them. But here are some of the yummy things I have had lately...

Green juice with celery, cucumber, ginger, carrot, spinach, and lemon juice:

Creamy Asian Pear and Tempeh Salad with Wasabi Dressing from Veganomicon, seaweed & wasabi rice crackers, and an Asian salad (not pictured):



And, for my hubby's birthday, a special dinner and birthday treat. He requested the Chile Cornmeal-Crusted Tofu Po'Boys from Veganomicon:



This sandwich is the bomb-diggity. For realz. The tofu is mega-delicious and almost sort of catfish-like:


The tofu is baked and served on a crusty baguette with some cholula-spiked Vegenaise, cabbage slaw, and pickles. I had some extra cornmeal mixture left, so I decided to toss some chickpeas in it and roast them. They were really good - all 3 of us loved them!!


For his birthday dessert, he chose something new to try, the Toasted Coconut Cupcakes with Coffee Buttercream Frosting from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World. I did not let my lack of on-hand ingredients deter me - off to Whole Foods I went to get the necessary coffee extract, coconut extract, and vegan shortening. My hubby is an amazing man and I was happy to bake him something special for his birthday! The cupcakes, by the way, were A-MAZING. And I am no baker, believe me!


My son was excited to try one of Daddy's birthday "pupcakes" -- too cute! He liked it, although I replaced his frosting with some coconut butter, which he loves anyway. I wasn't risking a big sugar-high right before bedtime!!

Finally, I hosted my mother's group at my home yesterday. I planned a scavenger hunt/nature hike-themed outing and thought that "ants-on-a-log" would make a fun snack:


It's just sunflower seed butter, raisins, and organic celery. Easy-peasy!

No comments: