Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Guacamame, I Think I Love You

I know it doesn't have the same ring as "Holy guacamole," but I'm going to say it anyway.

Holy Guacamame.

Tonight I made the Big Fat Taco Salad from Appetite for Reduction. The Big Fat Taco Salad includes two other AFR recipes, Fresh Tomato Salsa Dressing and Guacamame. And Guacamame is where it's at, folks. Now, I love me some avocados. I eat several a week. I love avocado sandwiches, avocados on salads, avocados in raw soups, and avocados on toast. I do not fear the avocado and its "scary" fat content. Avocado is so good for you, and the fat is such healthy fat, that it doesn't phase me one bit. However, as much as I love my avocados, it is really, really easy to eat a whole lot of avocado in one sitting if it is presented as regular, straight-up guacamole. And no matter how healthy avocado is for you, it's not exactly healthy to eat 2-3 avocados in one sitting. Enter the beauty of Guacamame! Isa's recipe combines one avocado with edamame, some tomato, red onion, cilantro, lime juice, a bit of water, and salt. You puree it until it becomes a voluminous bowl of the yummy green stuff. I stared at this bowl and couldn't believe that there was only one avocado in there!! Now, it's hard to tell, but this is a fairly large pyrex bowl!

I was hesitant to try it, because I was like, oh come on, it's going to taste like watered down guacamole. But you know what?? It didn't taste watered down. It tasted delicious. I had to stop myself from scooping up half the bowl with the salsa verde tortilla chips I had just opened!

Here's the assembled salad: shredded romaine lettuce, the Fresh Tomato Salsa Dressing, black beans, cilantro, crushed salsa verde tortilla chips, and the piece de resistance, the Guacamame.


This made a huge salad, and I was delighted. I love taco salad!!

There will be much more Guacamame in my future, I can guarantee you!

No comments: