Thursday, June 16, 2011

Muffins and Gnocchi

My hubby was away traveling for a few days, so my son and I got to have some fun dinners, like Old-Fashioned Chelsea Waffles and Tofu Scramble from Vegan Brunch and a Moroccan stir-fry meal with rice cooked by my good friend, Allison. She was kind enough to invite us over for dinner last night so I didn't have to cook. Thanks Allison! :)

On Monday, I cooked up a huge batch of quinoa and great northern beans for the Romesco bowls we ate Monday night. I still had some quinoa kicking around yesterday, so I decided to bake some Almond-Quinoa Muffins from Veganomicon. I've been wanting to make these muffins forever, but I never had leftover quinoa hanging around - until now!

These muffins were amazing - and healthy, too! They had flaxseeds, agave nectar, whole wheat pastry flour, almond flour, cinnamon, cardamom, quinoa, and chopped dried apricots in them. No refined flours or sugars! The cooked quinoa gave the muffins a very fun, slightly crunchy texture. I baked them while my son was napping, and when he got up, he ate not one, not two, but THREE muffins! His assessment: "Yummy Mommy. Good job, Mommy!" I couldn't agree more - they were delicious!



My hubby came home today so I made him one of his favorite dinners. It's also really easy to make (bonus, cuz I've been feeling really tired today!) It's Gnocchi with Fava Beans from Vegetarian Times.



Spinach gnocchi, fava beans, roasted red peppers, artichoke hearts, garlic, tomato sauce, and sun-dried tomatoes, with a side of steamed spinach. Quick, easy, hearty, and toddler-approved. What more could you ask for? :)

No comments: