Friday, October 14, 2011

Vegan MoFo Day 14: Veni, Vidi, Venice!

There are several places in the world I'd love to revisit, but none perhaps more so than the enchanting and mysterious (and sinking) city of Venice, Italy.

Venice is a place you just have to see for yourself. It is truly unique and a feast for the eyes, from the grand Gothic architecture of the palazzos, to the beautiful sweeping piazzas, to the miles and miles of canals that wend their way throughout the city. And, of course, you can't even talk about Venice without mentioning the iconic gondolas that pepper the waterways.


No Hondas here. Just park your dinghy next to your front door!

Basilica di San Marco (St. Mark's Basilica) is a truly spectacular sight. I could just sit and study it for hours!

I'm not sure why I took a picture of my hubby standing with a bunch of pigeons. I mean, I could have taken some pictures of the Grand Canal, or the Rialto Bridge, or the newly reconstructed La Fenice opera house. But no. Pigeons. At least they were in Piazza San Marco. That must have been my angle.

I'm also not sure of the significance of this clock tower. But it's pretty cool how you can take a gondola right up to it! (We didn't take any gondola rides, by the way....it's so expensive!!)
Mostly, we just spent our time walking around and gazing at the beautiful architecture, enjoying the sights and sounds of this hypnotic and romantic city of water.

Even if my hair was no match for the searing September heat and humidity.

Did you need to zoom out so far in order to get all my hair in the shot, my dear?

Yeah, even I know this hat is atrocious.

Still, I'd love to go back to Venice. I feel like there is so much still to see. I'd get a cappuccino, find some vegan tiramisu, and just sit in a piazza and take it all in. But if you want to get a feel for Venice without having to leave your house, I highly suggest reading The City of Falling Angels, John Berendt's mesmerizing book about Venice and the investigation into the devastating fire at La Fenice opera house. I read this book several months ago, and I felt like I was transported back to Venice. He does an amazing job painting visual pictures of the city!

In honor of my trip to Venice, I wanted to make a simple Italian dish, similar to one I would have eaten in one of the city's trattorias. I chose Chickpea Piccata from Appetite for Reduction, served over some brown rice penne. A side of broccoli rabe, sauteed in a little olive oil and garlic, was a perfect accompaniment.


The piccata was deceptively simple to make - it's just shallots, garlic, bread crumbs, broth, white wine, chickpeas, capers, and lemon juice. So easy! Much easier (and cheaper, and tastier, and healthier) than making chicken or veal piccata, IMHO. I did make chicken piccata once. I think it took me all afternoon to make. This took me about 30 minutes!

 Ciao my friends!

3 comments:

Carrie said...

Nice photos!

Bethany said...

Thank you, Carrie! :)

Tami said...

You're the winner of American Vegan Kitchen! Congratulations. Please email me your mailing address.