Saturday, October 22, 2011

Vegan MoFo Day 22: Salads from Around the World

Today's post isn't about a place I've been, but rather, it's a tribute to the places I'd like to go.

At least, that's my excuse. The truth is - I've been "cheating" on my travel meals and sneaking in a few main-dish salads here and there. I can't help it - I just love them!

For instance, the other day I was thinking about salad Provence. Mmmm. When I think about Provence, I just so happen to think of things like green beans, Great Northern beans, onions, cherry tomatoes, olives, tarragon vinegar, garlic, and parsley. Don't you? Mais oui, of course you do!

Oh, hello there, salad. Fancy meeting you here! How about I add some brown rice, arugula, and baby spinach, and we'll call it a day? 'Kay? This one is inspired by the Provencal White Bean Salad in 1,000 Vegan Recipes.

Then, the other day, I was dreaming about salad Greece. Mmm. Greece is delicious. While we're thinking of Greece, how about munching on a nice Greek-style salad? Baby romaine, chickpeas, cherry tomatoes, Kalamata olives, celery, cucumbers, nooch, and some homemade white balsamic vinaigrette. Sounds good to me!


Greece made me think of other hot, sunny places I'd like to visit. I've always wanted to visit Israel and the Middle East, so I immediately started thinking of things I'd want to do there. Like eating bulgur salads and pita breads! Fortunately, I had everything on hand to make the Bulgur, Arugula, and Cannellini Salad from Veganomicon. What a coincidence! Baby carrots and baby pitas were great on the side.






I'll soon be back to my regular travel posts, but I thought you might enjoy a salad break.

4 comments:

Nada (One Arab Vegan) said...

Loving the look of that white bean salad and those baby pitas are just too cute!

Rachel said...

I love this salad assortment. I was just talking to a colleague in my office who eats salad for breakfast every day. She says it's an Israeli thing, and people in her family have always eaten salad for breakfast. I think I need to promote this idea!

Bethany said...

Hi Nada! Thanks for commenting :) I love baby pitas, they are so fun!

Bethany said...

Hi Rachel! I've definitely heard of some folks eating salad for breakfast. Other than some spinach in my smoothies, I don't think I've ever had salad for breakfast. But I should try it..I do love my salads!