Thursday, June 23, 2011

Another Easy (Lazy) Dinner

I just wasn't in the mood for any hard-core cooking tonight. I didn't have anything on my menu, anyway (I'd left Thursday open as "leftovers/freezer meal"), so I just wanted to make something quick and easy with ingredients I already had on hand. I began flipping through Appetite for Reduction for some inspiration and decided to make the Tamarind BBQ Tempeh & Sweet Potatoes. I had tempeh, I had sweet potatoes, and I had all of the sauce ingredients, so that's what I made. I had a big hunk of cornbread in the freezer, too, so I took that out, put some frozen brussels sprouts on the stove to steam, and, voila, dinner was served:

This dish was so easy to make - all I had to do was whisk together the sauce (garlic, ginger, broth, arrowroot powder, ketchup, tamarind concentrate, agave, tamari, olive oil, liquid smoke, and some chili powder) and toss it in a pan with some cubed tempeh and sweet potatoes. Bake for about an hour, tossing a couple of times, and it's done. Easy-peasy. I was glad I had some cornbread in the freezer, because BBQ food always makes me want cornbread, and I wasn't exactly in the mood for baking today. Everything tasted great, cleanup was a snap, and hubby really liked it (my son loved the tempeh, but not the sweet potatoes, for some reason??) I'll make it again, for sure.

No comments: