Friday, June 10, 2011

Pizza on the Grill

Mmmmm....pizza. It is one of life's greatest pleasures. I love all kinds of pizza, and we usually make it every weekend. When the weather gets warmer, my hubby and I team up and make some killer grilled pizzas! This is a Fig, Spinach, Basil, and Cashew Goat Cheez pizza. The cashew goat cheez is a spin on Gena's Raw Curried Cashew Spread, where I change up the spices (subbing oregano and basil for the curry, cumin and cinnamon), add more lemon juice, and stir in a good amount of white balsamic vinegar. It's tangy and delicious and goes perfectly with the fig jam! I use the Grilled Pizza crust recipe from How to Grill and it comes out perfectly every time.

After the dough has risen and been stretched, we lay it on the preheated grill and spread some olive oil on it:

It starts to puff up right away!
 After several minutes, it's time to flip the crust and add the toppings. Look at those grill marks!
 I have to work quickly to get the toppings on before the crust gets overcooked. I spread some fig jam on first, then top it with dollops of the cashew goat cheese:

 Next I add handfuls of baby spinach and some fresh basil leaves:

 Then we let it cook a few more minutes until the spinach starts to wilt a bit. Then we take it inside, slice it up, and devour!


Grilled pizza is pretty easy to do and it's such a nice change from regular pizza. I also like to do a simple Neapolitan-style pizza with fresh sliced tomatoes, basil, olive oil, and Daiya vegan mozzarella. I'm sure you'll be seeing that one on my blog some time this summer!

No comments: