Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Quick, Easy, Yummy!

Today was one of those days when I just couldn't get my mojo. I woke up tired, didn't have the energy to exercise, and just felt exhausted. A trip to the library with my son was about all I managed to accomplish today. I was so, SO glad that I happened to have a really easy dinner scheduled!

When I made the Caesar salad dressing the other day, I doubled the batch so I'd have some leftover. I used it tonight to top a Mediterranean Bowl from Appetite for Reduction.


Isa's recipe suggests bulgur, roasted cauliflower, chickpeas, and her Caesar Chavez dressing. I wanted to substitute millet for the bulgur, since it is a bit more nutrition-packed than bulgur (plus...it's delicious!) I got a pot of millet going on the stove, tossed a pound of frozen cauliflower in the oven to roast, and seared some fresh zucchini and frozen broccoli in a pan with a little bit of olive oil. Then I started to assemble my bowl: fresh baby spinach, then the hot millet, roasted cauliflower, seared broccoli & zucchini, chickpeas, some jarred roasted red pepper, and the dressing. Honestly, this dinner was easy as pie to make and it tasted fabulous. I'm becoming a big believer in homemade dressings and frozen veggies - you can pair these with any grain and any bean and make a healthy, hearty dinner in no time flat!
I'll be making yet another AFR bowl later this week...can't wait to see how that one comes out!

No comments: